Who Are We?
Our Families and Supporters: Alink Foundation is a nonprofit community organization in Montreal, Quebec — a group of families and supporters joined by a common bond:
We all care passionately about our young adults (18 and older) with neurodiverse challenges — that is, brain-based challenges such as intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorders, which often also have a mental health component.
Our Mission and Vision: Alink aims to
- enhance the health and well-being of our adult children
- provide them with opportunities to participate as valued members of society, develop in them a sense of belonging and help them live meaningful and dignified lives
- build with them an inclusive community—that is, one in which they live, work and socialize along with the rest of the community, not segregated from others.
To do this, Alink builds partnerships, collaborating with others to co-create
- educational, health and fitness, recreational and social programs
- employment opportunities
- affordable and accessible housing.
Alink provides insight from the perspective of users and raises awareness and funding.
History: In Spring 2016, Alink started as a grassroots group of parents whose young adult children had aged out of the educational system. What next?, we asked. Where are the services for our adult children? How will we integrate them into society and find friendship, supervised shelter, some form of work and other meaningful life opportunities?
Co-creation became our mantra. Over the past several years, Alink has been cultivating relationships with key support organizations as well as among families, the stakeholders, and building partnerships–alliances for inclusion.
Alink’s name also honors the memory of Aron Lieberman, z”l, who cared passionately about people with special needs and who valued friendship above all– “to love your fellow as yourself,” in the words of the famous Rabbi Akiva.
Our Young Adults: Click HERE to meet some of Alink’s young adults.
Club Alink: is the social arm of Alink Foundation and provides opportunities for young adults to connect. Click HERE to read more about Club Alink.
Officers/Board of Directors: Click HERE for Alink’s current officers and directors.
Membership: is open to everyone. Click HERE for more information on how you can become a member.